Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Feeling Lazy Lasagna

Here I am standing on my "soap box" screaming about all-natural, organic, sustainable and healthy eating choices and right under my nose my mom (who lives about a mile away) has become a junk food junkie. I simply cannot allow her to consume this rubbish- artificial chocolate snacks, ice cream, processed instant dinners that are loaded with sugar, artificial ingredients, trans fats and worse.

A few weeks ago, we went grocery shopping together (she called it inhumane treatment) and I kept reading the "ingredient list" of the items she wanted to buy...scary stuff. Several of the items contained ingredients that a common person (like myself) cannot even pronounce, let alone understand what it is and that reminded me of something Jack Lalanne (known as the godfather of fitness) has always said..."If it comes from man, don't eat it." Jack is in his 90's and still exercising daily!!!

Anyway, for the past month or so I have been preparing dishes for my mom that she can simply put in the microwave for a minute or two and have a delicious, nutritious and healthy meal without any of this junk. I also have her drinking bottled water & V8 Fusion instead of soft drinks. Have her eating snacks such as yogurt covered cranberries (160 calories per serving and a great source of anti-oxidants) and exercising a little bit each morning and she is feeling and looking much better, even though I suspect she still has a stash of some of her favorite junk foods hidden away somewhere.

So yesterday I had planned on making a lasagna made with all-natural ground sirloin, fresh spinach, homemade tomato sauce, low-fat ricotta cheese, roasted garlic, onions and Parmigiana Reggiano for her to enjoy. But it was a really nice day here in southern Maine and it had been a week since Cindy & I took the dogs for a "long" walk on the beach, so I thought, "what would be better than going to the beach before hitting the grocery store to pick up what I needed for the lasagna."

We decided to park the car in Lower Village, making the walk over 3 miles, which was great. The dogs loved it and I could really use the exercise...as I still need to lose about 35 pounds. We walked and chatted, the dogs ran and played and it was a really great time.

By the time we got back to the car, I was feeling rather hungry and so I suggested that we have a quick lunch at Alisson's (great New England family food restaurant in Kennebunkport). One of the things I love about Alisson's is that they actually know how to properly pour a "Black & Tan" so I found myself giving into the craving and ordered up a pint!

Lunch was delicious and the frosty beer was fantastic but as Cindy & I got to the car we both commented on how nice it would be to take an afternoon nap!

Shortly after returning home, I found my favorite leather chair, kicked off my shoes and drifted off to sleep only to awake around 4:00pm. Oh what a lazy day it was!!!

Remembering that I haven't been to the grocery store yet and don't really feel like heading there now, I figured that I would look in the fridge and cupboards and see what I could whip-up (thinking that the lasagna would have to wait for another day). Yes I was being very lazy, one beer and off to sleep I go! Not the way it was back at Fairfield Prep, was it Roger?

I discovered that I had the ricotta cheese, plenty of Parmigiana, the ground sirloin, some sweet Italian sausage, some portobello mushrooms, the lasagna sheets, garlic, and onions. I didn't have any spinach or nice vine ripened tomatoes to make the sauce with but I did have 2 jars of artichoke hearts, a jar of roasted red peppers and a jar of real basil & tomato sauce (no artificial ingredients, no additives, no gums, etc.) and so I thought what the heck, it won't be great but it won't be terrible either.

So I put a pot of salted (sea salt) water on for the pasta and proceeded to chop the onions & garlic, drain the artichokes and red peppers, slice the mushrooms and before I knew it (about 30 minutes) I had the lasagna in the oven and cooking away.

About an hour and a half later I was taking the lasagna out of the oven and it looked and smelled fantastic!!! I decided to grab my camera and take a couple of shots to show you how it came out.

I have to say, without tooting my own horn, that it was simply delicious, the artichokes, portobello and roasted red pepper added a nice mellow taste and the sausage added just enough complexity to give the dish some style.

Anyway, here is the recipe for anyone who wants to give it a try...I'm calling it my Lazy Lasagna recipe as you can make this dish and still fit a nice long nap into your day. If you don't have a particular ingredient, simply substitute something else.


Lazy Lasagna
Serves 12 - 15











1 tablespoon - organic extra virgin olive oil
12 each - lasagna sheets
1 pound - all-natural ground sirloin
1 pound - all-natural sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
1 medium - Spanish onion, chopped
8 cloves - garlic finely minced
10 ounces - fresh portobello mushrooms, sliced
1 25 ounce jar - basil & tomato sauce(don't get the stuff loaded with sugar and preservatives, look for one that is all-natural without gums, corn syrup, etc.)
2 tablespoons - dried Italian seasoning
2 12 ounce jars - artichoke hearts in water, drained and sliced in half
1 16 ounce jar - roasted red peppers, drained
1 pound - low-fat ricotta cheese
1 pound - Parmigiana Reggiano cheese, shredded
Sea Salt
Cracked Black Pepper

Preheat oven to 385 degrees.

Put a large pot filled with about 6 cups of cool water and a teaspoon of sea salt over high heat, covered and bring to a boil. Once a rapid boil i reached, add the lasagna sheets and cook for 9 minute or until pasta is "just" cooked "al dente". Remove from heat and drain into a colander. Rinse quickly with cool water to stop the cooking process and allow to drain completely.

Place the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat for 2 minutes and then add the chopped onions, stirring to coat the onions. Saute until the onions Begin to become translucent, about 2 - 3 minutes, add the mushrooms and saute about minutes more. Add the ground sirloin and Italian sausage and cook until meats begin to brown, about 4 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat, drain off excess fat then return to stove, add the chopped garlic, basil & tomato sauce and the Italian seasoning. Simmer ingredients together for about 4 - 5 minutes or until sauce is warm. Adjust seasoning with sea salt and cracked black pepper. Remove from stove.

Using a small amount of olive oil, grease the bottom and sides of a large casserole pan and then layer 3 sheets of lasagna across the bottom of the pan. Next ladle about 1/4 of the cooked meat sauce over the lasagna sheets. Spread a thin layer of ricotta over the meat sauce and then sprinkle some of the Parmigiana over the ricotta. Next place 3 more lasagna sheets on top, followed by the roasted red peppers, some of the ricotta and more Parmigiana, another 3 sheets of lasagna followed by the artichokes, another 1/4 of the meat sauce, more ricotta and Parmigiana, the last 3 sheets of lasagna then another 1/4 of the meat sauce, topped with the last of the ricotta and Parmigiana. Keep the last 1/4 of the meat sauce for the serving plates.)

Place casserole dish onto baking sheet, cover top with aluminum foil and place on center rack of oven for 1 hour. Remove aluminum foil and bake another 20 minutes or so until the top is nice and golden brown.



















Remove from oven, allow to sit for 10 minutes prior to cutting. Using a sharp knife, cut into desired size portions. Place a small amount of the reserved meat sauce in center of each dinner plate, place lasagna portion on each plate, garnish with some fresh rosemary and enjoy with a nice glass of Italian Chianti or Argentinean Malbec.














Several of you have inquired about the dogs so here is a picture of the "kids".


















Also, I've had a number of you ask about the "real kids",
so here is a picture of the whole "human" family.















Until next time,

Chef John

www.cookwithjohncom
john@cookwithjohn.com

No comments: